Sunday, March 25, 2012

Reflective Researcher-Thinker - Unit 5


                                   Hitting the Wall

[Photo from: www.writingishard.wordpress.com]
            For marathon runners there is a point in the race when the runner will experience what is called “hitting the wall”. Generally this happens around mile 20, and it is when the body has used up all its energy available.  It is at this point the runner’s determination to finish kicks in because everything in the body is telling the runner to stop. In the past few weeks, I have felt as if I have “hit the wall”. I have had several periods of writers block and have had to deal with fatigue – both physically and mentally.  Even though my body and mind are tired and they want to stop, I keep reminding myself that I only have 6 miles to go. My determination is still going strong! In a marathon you cannot always see the finish line, but you know it is just ahead, so you keep pressing forward towards your goal.  I know the finish line is ahead. I have worked past the periods of writers block and have made significant progress on my assignments.

Action Research and DSIL
            
             Earlier this month, I was able to compile all my data from my action research project in order to analyze and develop my findings.  I do wish I had more information to include in my report especially when it came to the teacher data, but I am thankful for the information I was able to collect.  I have completed the following sections of my action research project: data analysis, findings, discussion, and limitations. The parts that remain are completing my conclusion and the final parts of the abstract. My goal is to complete these two final parts no later than Tuesday of next week so that it can be submitted for peer review. 

            I was able to complete my digital showcase of innovation and leadership (DSIL) during this time frame which included corrections from peer reviews. The time spent in developing the DSIL increased my confidence in creating and developing webpages. I look forward to using this technological tool in the future as an educator. 

Volunteer Work

            My volunteer work at Mesa Elementary included vocabulary instruction with third and fifth grade groups. During my action research project with the students we covered 5-6 vocabulary words each week. The staff said I could continue to work with the students in the area of vocabulary; therefore, I chose to covered affixes with the students. I made up an activity similar to the game Boggle. The students were given a specific suffix or prefixes and its meaning, and they had to come up with a word using the suffix or prefix. Next, the students shared their word and if no one else had their word, they got a point.  I felt it was important that the students understand what the meaning behind the prefix and suffix so they are able to break down words and understand their meaning.  One example was the suffix ‘er’ or ‘or’ which means ‘one who’ such as painter or runner.  Another suffix ‘er’ is comparative such as bigger or smaller.  The students really had to think about the word they were coming up with to ensure that it matched the meaning given with the suffix. The students had fun with this activity, and I believe it will benefit them as they continue to develop their vocabularies.  The students really enjoyed the game and being creative with words.  Since the game included discussing the meaning of the suffix and prefix this will help students decipher English words in the future.  However, due to TCAP testing, there have been no RtI groups the past two weeks. I have missed the time that I usually spend with these students. 

Home Education

            The past two weeks our science and geography lesson have focused on the Pacific Ocean and the Hawaiian Islands. This is in preparation for our upcoming adventure School at Sea.  The children focused on reading books, painting or drawing pictures, studying geography, and writing which all related to what they learned about the Pacific Ocean, Polynesians, and the Hawaiian Islands. Next week, the focus will turn to studying volcanoes with hopefully the opportunity to create a volcano as part of a science experiment.





             In addition, we were continuing our science study about gas, liquids, and solids.  The children participated in science experiments which included: making milk goop (casein), making goop, making slime, and making a bouncy ball.  


[Creating slime]

[Creating casein]







No comments:

Post a Comment