Saturday, April 21, 2012

Reflective Researcher - Thinker Unit 7

Action research is used by teachers as a process to facilitate change in their work as a professional. Not only does action research foster opportunities for teachers to make important evidence-based changes in their practice, but it also serves as validation of practices that work. 
  
[Photo from: enchantedmaths.blogspot.com]
            Now that I have invested a great deal of time and energy into my project, I have reflected on how action research has impacted my thinking in regards to the importance of research for all teachers with a vision for improvement and success; action research is an important key to student learning. While our projects were done individually for this course, I see action research in my future completed with a team of educational professional who are seeking continuous student improvement for all students.  

           The process has also showed me the importance of the literature review and delving into the research which has already been accomplished within the area of concern.  The goal as a researcher is not to reinvent the wheel, but to fine tune it. Therefore, in the review of literature one can see what has been tried and the results. Modifications can be made to projects to expand the research. The teacher can come up with ideas of what is needed for this expansion or make adjustments based on the suggestions for future research.  

           I do not know what position I will hold next year; however, I do know that action research will continue to be part of what I do as an educator.
         
Endurance – the ability to withstand hardship or adversity; the ability to sustain a prolonged stressful effort or activity <a marathon runner's endurance> - Merriam-Webster Dictionary
     
          As I come to the end of the teacher education program, I have compared my time in this program as running a marathon.  In 1997, I made the decision to run a marathon.  I loved to run and this was something that I had wanted to do for many years. I trained for six months and ran 577 miles training for the race. The day of the marathon came. Did I have what it took to finish the race? Had I trained enough? Four hours of running, 26.2 miles and I finished the race!  This was not only a great personal accomplishment, but the ability to endure the training and the race was something that never left me. As I faced physically demanding situations later in my life, I would often tell myself “you can do this, you finished a marathon”. It has been 15 years since I ran the marathon, and it is a component of my life which will never be taken away.

          In 2010, I was accepted in the teacher education program at Western State College. The first year was difficult in maintaining a full college course schedule and a year-long internship. However, after completing the first year I received my Colorado Teaching Certificate. This past year, I have completed 16 additional credit hours in order to complete the Masters program. The teacher education program has been challenging for me. The field of education is a new career for me and I have to learn many new terms and ideas.  I feel more than ready to meet the needs and challenges of my students. This will be a great personal accomplishment since I am about to finish the race. Not only will I have all the knowledge gained from the program to implement in my classroom, school, and district, I will be able to tell myself “you can do this; you finished your Masters in Education”. I feel equipped to face the opportunities that are ahead of me. My degree will remain a component of my life which can never be taken away.  
 
Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into gloryWilliam Barclay

No comments:

Post a Comment